Wednesday, March 1, 2017

February Happenings

Highlights of the month included Dane’s birthday celebration!  We went back and forth on various fun ideas but in the end, Dane really just wanted to invite his friends over for soccer, basketball and jumping on the bounce house.  We ordered pizza, had ice cream cake and played a few minute to win it games.  I was nervous prior because…. so many boys!  But it ended up being absolutely perfect and no problems whatsoever.  I guess 10 year olds are pretty easy to entertain!  

So fun to have a week off from school in which we visited Grandma and Grandpa, spent one day at SeaWorld, one at Balboa Park and enjoyed our annual “We Love to be a Family” day.  On the agenda this year was: working together to clean the house, watching the Batman Lego movie, rock climbing and shopping, eating Pick up Stix and then playing games and eating s’mores!  Every year I feel hesitant to put this day together—- wondering if I’ll have the energy to follow through and come up with the rhymes and ideas… but every year it is a success and worth the time and effort for both me and the kids. I’m always happy I've stuck with it!  This is our fourth year doing it!

We also celebrated a few friends’ birthdays this month.  Tighe Reardon— our great friend and adored football coach, Millie Doud- our cutest little friend, Grandpa- the one and only.  We said goodbye to our beloved Betty Jean Brombach and attended her funeral with all of our family up in LA.  It was a beautiful service and wonderful opportunity to see everyone we love, despite the sadness of the occasion.  We will miss Betty Jean with all of our hearts.  It was certainly an introspective day for me.  I loved hearing so many touching and kind stories of Betty Jean.  She was one in a million and had the sweetest personality and presence about her.  Everyone who knew her adored her.  Listening to the sweet stories and accounts from loved ones  inspired me to live my life in a more giving fashion.  Lately I’ve taken a tremendous interest in Secular Buddhism and have read and listened to everything I can get my hands on!  I have one sweet little book in particular that gives me a thought for the day to focus on.  It’s helped me in my interactions with the kids, with Blake, with myself!  I sometimes take a picture of the quote or thought and look back throughout the day.  I’ve been listening to a podcast also that provides the best information ever on how to live life more peacefully and with less expectations and perfectionism (two problems I struggle with!)  How have I not learned about this earlier?  It’s such great information for me and I already have noticed a change in my life and how I view it.  I sent Blake this funny e-card via text the other day to highlight my inflexibility. But I really am learning to  how to be more flexible and trying to teach the kids the same.  


Speaking of learning to be more flexible and less agitated.... one week in particular this month practically put me in an early grave- ha!  It was the beginning of my search for a more calm existence.  Family week at highland ranch is a fun week but full of duties and commitments.  Add on a few sick kids and mom under the weather and a Blue and Gold dinner…. you’ve got yourself the recipe for one very cranky mom.  But looking back, it all went just about as smoothly as one could hope.  We set up donuts for dads one day at 6:15am… my sweet boys helped carry in all the milk and set up the tables.  We did Moms and Muffins another morning bright and early.  Family lunches at the school, and then the big Daddy Daughter Valentine Dance for Friday night.  Loved the friends I was able to spend time with in the process.  And loved the fun decorations I had seen on-line somewhere and decided to copy for the Blue and Gold.  They were a big hit for the cubs.  And the whole family enjoyed decorating cakes to celebrate the birthday of scouting!  Dane advancing to a Webelo was the icing on the cake!

Of course, we had a blast watching the Super Bowl and Oscars with the Jones!  And celebrating Chandler’s birthday.  Amy is the best cook and so we always have a grand ol' time  when it’s her turn to cook.  When it’s my turn… everyone puts up with the fixings- ha!


Can’t forget to mention all of the Valentine festivities.  We had our traditional Valentine FHE where we wrote a kind note about each member of the family and then hung all the hearts in the kitchen.   We received BEAUTIFUL flowers from Grandpa for V-day and displayed them all throughout the house— a favorite tradition.  Grammy had already given us our valentines before she headed out of town— a cute little bag full of treats.  Grandma also sent us valentines— money, treats and of course the cutest ever Woven Pear HEDGEHOG socks!  Ev was thrilled.  We had a yummy steak and corn on the cob dinner and opened up classmates’ valentine cards all afternoon. I had a heart box of chocolates for the kids with a few other special treats on their beds when they arrived home. I gave Blake the very same card I gave him last year!  I found it again and again, it was just too perfect not to give him.  It's so us!  Yeah…I think Valentine’s Day was sufficiently celebrated…haha!  I go overboard with the holidays I enjoy:)  A busy, full, fun month! 

























for Blake 






































\