Friday, May 25, 2012

Welcome Anna Paige


On April 20, 2012 we welcomed a darling little
6 lbs, 15 oz baby girl!  We are so happy and so grateful she is here safe and sound! Thank you Grandma for watching the kids while Mom and Dad took off to the hospital!  We weren’t so lucky in NYC!   It was such a peaceful feeling to know that the kids were well taken care of and having a blast while we were away.

We’ve certainly enjoyed this past month—being together as a family, spending time with Grandma, Grammy and Auntie J, cousin Kate.  It’s been so perfect! 

Anna’s birth story excerpt from her journal:

Anna Paige

Birth Story
4/20/2012
6 lbs. 15 oz; 20 inches

Anna, we were so thrilled when we discovered we would be blessed with another child in our little family.  We had assumed it wouldn’t be, due to my difficult pregnancies. Therefore, it was a thrill to know otherwiseand then to find that you would be a little daughter! You can’t begin to imagine my happiness!  In the womb, you grew healthy and well.  You moved frequently as to give me piece of mind.  You looked angelic in each and every ultrasound and the whole family could hardly await your arrival, particularly your mom! I was a little anxious about your health, due to a few scares we had regarding your heart being in a rotated position and the implications of that.  We would have to wait for your birth to know for certain exactly what was going on with your little body.

Two weeks before your due date (38 weeks), the doctors noted that my blood pressure was a little high and that I was having an allergic reaction to medication needed to keep you safe in utero. We decided the best situation would be to deliver you a tad bit early due to your healthy size and mature lung development.

On April 19th at 8pm, Dad and I headed to Mary Birch Hospital for Women and checked in for your scheduled  induction. We were thrilled and so eager to have you here with us!  And then we were terribly disappointed when at 10pm, the nurse let us know that instead of starting the pitocin right then, we would push off the induction until the morning hours! The reason? After checking my cervix (a 3 and 50% effaced), the doctor decided that labor would probably go a little too quickly and because of some of your possible heart issues, the doc wanted the entire neo-natal team to be in attendance at your birth to help out in case of a problem. And that would be difficult in the middle of the night;  morning would be far better. 

SO.we tried to sleep and rest;  difficult in the midst of contractions and frayed nerves!  Dad slept on a pull out chair which he later joked about.  “It feels like I just slept in a washing machine!”  he said in the wee hours of the morning.

At 4:30am, induction started and it was slow.  Not a lot happened for a time.  But we enjoyed our nurse Lorellie and met our Dr. Wade Schwindemann—both extremely kind and wonderful professionals.  I watched old Arrested Development shows from my Iphone and tried to deep breath and not be too nervous.  A good friend who works at the hospital came to visit and lightened the mood.  My doctor- Holly Caselle came to see me on lunch break.  And then at about 10:30am on April 20th, contractions started to become a little more intense and more consistent.  Dr. Shae came in to give me an epidural, although I was a little hesitant about the whole thing this early on in the game.  Pain wasn’t too bad at this point, and I didn’t want to slow labor with an early epidural as I was only dilated to a four.  But, Dad talked me into it and the minor pains I was feeling were now non-existent.  At 11:15, Dr. S broke my water. 

This was a good move as labor contractions picked up impressively!  Dr. S predicted you would be born between 1pm and 2pm. And he was right!  At 1:00, I felt a lot of pain, despite the epidural.  I knew it was almost time to push.  But Dr. S. thought differently.  He checked me and decided I was only a 5-6 and would still probably experience about an hour of contractions before pushing.  Despite the physical evidence at hand, I did not agree--as I had done this three times before!  5 minutes later I told everyone that it was time!!  Dr. S came in, prepped the room and sure enough, after10 minutes of pushing, sweet little Anna Paige Marston was born!  Your Dad and I were so thrilled, but I didn’t hear any crying, so I was concerned and wanted to make sure you were ok before rejoicing too much.  The neo-natal team listened to your heart, lungs, and checked your vitals.  Sure enough, you were as healthy as could be! A 9 out of 10 on the APGAR scale.  Thrilled, I held you in my arms and cried tears of joy and relief!  We could hardly believe your beautiful little face.  It was different than all the other children.  We could hardly get over how perfect and precious you were!  The nurses asked if you had a name?  Dad preferred the name Cora, but I took one look at you and knew that your name was Anna. And Dad was good enough to give Mom the final say. So I told the nurses- Anna Paige Marston. Both your Dad and I knew that Paige would be your middle name.  Paige, after a dear, dear friend of ours, whom we loved very much and who passed away from breast cancer last year.

Shortly after birth, you latched right on to nurse and were a complete champ!  You quietly rested for the duration of the day in mom and dad’s arms; and later were able to meet Evelyn, Dane, Grant and Grandma.  All were so very excited to see you and believed you to be the cutest baby ever!  Evelyn in particular was very fond of your sweet little face and begged to hold you.

Anna, you are a little miracle to us.  We know that you were sent directly from Heavenly Father to bless our family.  How could we ever think otherwise?  You are precious and sweet and you will be loved for your entire life more than you could ever imagine.




















At home in her swing!


The kids decorated my bedroom to welcome us home


Evelyn so happy to have a baby to care for!


Grandma with baby Anna!